We hope this information helps you make a good choice, highlighting the inquiries you should make of any design agency.
Web Design Costs
What does the price include?
The price estimate will generally include everything you need to get your company online. After a conversation we will determine what your web project requires and create a budget for you that can include:
- web site design / development fee
- web site hosting – first 12 months included
- usage of royalty-free stock photographs
- logo design
- content write up
Do you charge any monthly fees?
Our policy is to only charge what was agreed upon; when the site is finished there are no additional fees. Should you need future services, an hourly rate will be applied to any newly requested work. We will give you an estimate for whatever servicing work you need and upon your service estimate approval, the work will begin. Some clients prefer a monthly retainer which is based on the total number of hours needed. These retainers are discounted from our normal hourly rate and are locked in for a certain number of months. Feel free to call us at 617-466-9286 or contact us here and let’s see what we can work out for you.
Any other costs?
If nothing else is done to your site, you will only be invoiced once a year for the web server space.
Why pay thousands of dollars when I can use a monthly fee based company such as Squarespace?
There are many low-budget template driven companies out there (Wix, Squarespace, GoDaddy, etc) that can save you some cash in the short run but here are a few things to consider.
- In the first 2-3 years of paying $25/month you could have purchased a starter custom-designed web site that was planned, developed, and optimized by a professional who fully understands your site and marketing needs. Sometimes the break-even point can be as little as 2-3 years for smaller projects.
- The build-your-own-site projects will get you a limited number of design templates you can select from. Its cookie cutter at a certain point and sooner or later you will run into your template somewhere on the web.
- If you ever decide to move away from them (should they close down, merge, etc.), you cannot transfer your site somewhere else. Its all gone. We give you a full backup of your entire project once its finished.
- There are heavy limitations to what the fee-based sites offer in terms of functionality, commerce and so forth. Your business will grow and so will its needs. Suddenly you realize that you can’t do certain things and that comes up quick.
Are there site warranties?
Yes. The first 60 days after your site launches we will cover any issues that are due to incomplete or incorrect code work. On the web things either work or don’t, so you can tell rather quickly whether something is complete or not. We rarely have to make corrections once the site launches but its nice to have that peace of mind!
What types of security accompany the site?
There are several layers of security that accompany the site. These include a strict server firewall and strict secondary software installation that protects the most popular site engines such as WordPress or Joomla. In addition to this, we host our clients at Liquidweb – which offers very heavy server monitoring, backups, and everything else needed to keep the bad guys out.
What Do I Do About Hosting My Site?
If you already have a web host, there is a good chance that we may be able to use it. If however the web host is insufficient for what you need, we will make a recommendation to place you on a better platform. Be cautious of the cheap hosting companies that offer you a space for ~$4 per month. You will get what you pay for… not a lot.
We generally host our clients with Liquidweb based in Lansing Michigan. They have been around since 1996, and never have been sold, bought, or merged with anyone or anything. They offer co-location and have state-of-the-art server farms all over the world. They are very easy to work with, and do an amazing job keeping their infrastructure in top shape. On top of that, they do a superb job monitoring and repairing anything that seems off, even before you know something happened. They are the best.
SEO and Web Marketing Costs
This is something we will discuss when we go over your sites needs. We can help you in keyword optimization and search engine marketing, setup Adword campaigns and more. You can learn more about it in our Search Engine Optimization section on our services page. Please check out our web design portfolio to check out some of our works.
If you only need a web site and your business is doing exceptionally well then you might not need SEO help right now. Its something you can always get setup down the road.
So What’s Next? We Recommend You…
Its best and easiest to call 617-466-9286 and talk about your potential project.